Thursday, May 20, 2010

Home Now and Recovering Still

The picture below is of Dad right before leaving the hospital... Glorious day!  He is wearing his boring brown slippers... he could have had the green mop ones.  Whatever, my floors are sparkling now that I have been wearing them instead of him.
Dad is home now.  He had a rough night the first night as he was trying to get used to managing his pain without the epidural and hospital drugs.  He was also trying to figure out the j-tube pump that kept beeping (this is the feeding tube-- he has to be being fed for 16 hours each day).  The bags in the picture below are the bags that the brown liquid food is poured into.  The food goes directly into his intestine because his esophagus and stomach are still healing from the surgery and they need to make sure it seals without leaks.  That means he still hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since last Wednesday.  He will go in this next week for the appointment where he will drink barium and they'll be able to test his insides for leaks.
Here is Dad resting... and Toby.  Toby needs more sleep than Dad does.  Yesterday I was able to spend the day with Dad... well, sleeping while he slept.  I came over because I was in the midst of trying to pass some kidney stones-not fun.  Dad and I bumped hospital bracelets and Mom acted as Florence Nightengale tending to her sickly patients.  I think Dad is already restless of sitting inside all the time.  He was planning on going to a funeral today and perhaps to the store with my mom.  He has to take walks several times a day anyway, so I guess this is probably no different.  Don't worry, he has several of us breathing down his neck to make sure he is getting adequate rest.  Healing continues...

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he is doing so well! Love the picture with the sleeping dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Emeline Wagstaff, Stacey Clark is my younger sister. I am so thankful that you have shared your fathers story and that your mother reached out to my sister so that she knew that she was not alone in this. I am so grateful that your father is doing better and it gives me hope fr Stacey. Her surgery is scheduled for June 7th. I know that the blessing of the Preisthood has given your father the strength to get through this with all of you behind him. That is the same blessing I wish for my sister and her young family as well as the rest of us.

    GOD BLESS YOU ALL
    Thank you
    Emeline Wagstaff

    ReplyDelete