Monday, May 17, 2010

Smell you later Nose Hose!

Today, Dad said a happy goodbye to the nose hose.  No more nasty tube jammed up his nose (held on by a stitch-ouch) and pushed down his throat.  Thankfully my brothers and I walked in just after the removal... couldn't have been pleasant to watch I am sure.  Things are going much better than they were when I left last night.  Dad was pretty worn out and grumpy from just being in the hospital, wanting to be better and wanting to be home.  Having the tube come out certainly helped!  He also got a chest tube removed.  It was oozing a bit, but they kept bandaging it and it looks to be doing better and the doctor said it should not cause any complications.
 Here is Dad!!!  He is playing Skip-Bo with us and holding his favorite stuffed animal :).  Dad is growing his Philmont beard... Lucky me, Dan (my husband) has decided to grow his own beard in solidarity... so have my brothers, but their's is a little patchy.  He did 20 laps today around the nurses station.  While I was there he said his next goal is to make it a full 26.2.  

Two weeks post surgery dad will do a barium test to check for leaks in his esophagus and stomach.  After this he will be able to reintroduce himself to foods/drinks again.  He says he isn't hungry but could really use a soda... not such a good idea right now unfortunately. 
Check out these awesome slippers!!  (and the cute dog too... that's Lucy).  Dad could have had these babies but he chose the brown boring slippers instead.  Too bad... these are both comfortable and helping to clean my floors. 

I have gotten lost at MDA no less than 20 times since Dad has been in the hospital.  I have a horrible sense of direction... it's crazy that I get so lost when the hospital has kiosks all over that print out directions for you.  Today my brothers and I got a little turned around in the parking garage.  Not our fault as it took us over 20 minutes to find a parking spot and we couldn't leave the parking garage to go to a different garage because you are charged $2.00 for 0-20 minutes.  Rip off. 

---Shh... there's a rumor floating around of possibly being discharged in the next couple days....

4 comments:

  1. Bill...we miss you...come back and play with us!!!! The L&D gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the good news coming! Uncle, I am so happy that you got your nose hose out...I bet having that thing in there really blows. Keep up the good work, I am expecting to hear that you accomplished your goal to do the nurse's station marathon soon.
    Erin...so loving the neon green slippers! I think you now have your x-mas shopping all figured out! When he goes for his marathon laps I expect you to be behind him with your boom box playing Eye of the Tiger for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think i am disappointed your Dad didn't want to style it with those slippers! Where was his sense of style they would have looked great with that hospital gown. Oh well, his loss is your gain they are perfect for you! Love to all and keep up the fantastic work Bill but please don't over do it....no hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha-Ha. It sound like me! I lived at Texas Children's for a month while the girls were there and I got lost going everywhere, even to the bathroom or the food court. I always had to ask for directions. Love the slippers, you should have gotten them in hot pink though.

    ReplyDelete