Friday, February 5, 2010

Chemotherapy and Radiation

Apparently, there are hundreds of chemotherapy medications out there each designed to handle different cancers, different cells, different areas. The chemotherapy that he will use to help kill all those cancer sleeper cells will apparently not have many side effects. Each body reacts differently to medication, but we hope that this will be true for Dad.

Dad won't lose his hair (he was real concerned about that), won't lose his eye brows (I was admittedly sorry he wouldn't lose those bad boys), will still be able to go to work and fulfill his church callings and shouldn't be affected too much at all. He will probably be more easily fatigued and may feel nauseous at times, but should be able to live his life regularly besides. He will still be able to go to the gym and be active.

Dad will likely be carrying around a small back pack... or "fanny pack" as I like to think of it (kinda hoping they'll give him a hot pink one) which will administer him the chemo drugs. I am not sure about all the details about that, I am sure when he starts I will be able to update that more with further information.

Radiation will happen with chemo -with the second round of chemo if he gets the study's new treatment plan- which will shoot the tumor to shrink it down. Radiation is a little tricky with esophageal cancer because of it's location so close to the heart. Hopefully he will be able to fatten himself up before the big surgery once the radiation shrinks the tumor down. I'm willing to join him in the fattening up process to show my support... that's what family does, you know.

1 comment:

  1. I knew I'd been fattening up over the past few years for a reason. How nice of me :)

    ReplyDelete