Thursday, February 11, 2010

Open up the port valve!

Yesterday, Dad went to good ol' MD Anderson to have a central line put in.  It will act as a chemotherapy port which will allow the chemo drugs to be administered and will also allow the nurses to get as much blood as they need through it instead of having to poke him a million times... those blood suckers.  Apparently when you have cancer they want to take all of your blood from you--maybe they are still bleeding people to help cure them :).  Actually, there is just a lot of testing involved and cell counts they need to keep track of and it also helps them to see what's working and what's not. 

Technically this is  minor surgery, but Dad said the actual 'implantation' took about ten minutes.  He had to lay down and a nurse shaved his upper arm area where they put the line in.  ---For some reason, I thought it was hysterical that a male nurse shaved him, but I think Dad thought I was being dumb because it was just a little area and it was a professional doing it...but still funny, right?   I even asked if he used a regular razor or an electric.  Electric.--- Anyways, a local anesthetic was used and they put this tube in his arm and it goes through to his chest.  This will allow the medicine to be delivered both quickly and efficiently.

The portacath is located on his upper right arm.  He said it is only a little sore and it shouldn't really bother him after a day or so.  Dad said it was basically just an IV--- So, now I am going to consider any time I get an IV to be minor surgery.

My parents both have to attend a class to learn how to take care of the port (or central line or portacath or whatever...it has a million names).  If they don't learn then my dad would have to go in just for them to flush it out every day.  So, they have to take this class... TWICE.  They took one yesterday and are taking one today.  My mom texted me just a few minutes ago complaining about how stupid some people are as they ask the same questions over and over, but perhaps it is just their first class and perhaps not all people can be as smart as my momma. :)  BTW, my mom passed the course with flying colors!!!

I saw my dad last night while I was at the church and I really want to see what it looks like-- I think my dad is sensing he might need to set me up with some boundaries--- but there were too many people around and that might have been strange to do that at the church!  I have an uncle who had open heart surgery a couple years back and I thought it was so cool when he showed me his scars.  I must have some sort of strange interest in seeing people's scars/markings, etc or something.  Anyway, CHEMO/RAD STARTS TUESDAY!

3 comments:

  1. In case you didn't know it, the health industry likes to consider putting in a central line surgery because then they can charge a lot more for it. But I've heard that MD Anderson is great with the bills because you don't even have to see how much they're charging. I hope that's the case with you. And every time you mention "Chemo/Rad" I think that it's some special chemo because it's so rad! I know that rad really means radiation and that rad is an outdated slang expression, but I do hope that chemo is rad for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Erin or "old Erin", I guess :)February 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    Our family's prayers are with you during this challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about the whole scar view point. When my husband had surgery for his kidney cancer I actually measured his scar thinking it was so incredible ...should be in the Guinness Book of World Records!

    ReplyDelete