Thursday, March 18, 2010

Countdown to the end of chemo!!! 2 days left

 My dad served in the Navy for 22 years.  He is retired--11 or 12 years ago now.  He joined after high school and continues to try to convince me that the smartest people are in the Navy branch of the military.  I was almost believing him until that Navy reality show came on and now I'm not so sure.  Seriously though, I am really glad that my dad joined the military.  It really has shaped him, our family and each of us as individuals and given us a real sense of patriotism.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't personally think about how fortunate I am to live in this country and how grateful I am for the freedom it affords me and my family.  I think all that comes from my dad's service.
This is the beginning (notice we are still in black and white...seriously?).  1976.  Dad's initiation and the end to his stylish coif of hair.  Shortly after that it was buzzed for boot camp.  I can tell by how he is standing and looking that he is pretty excited about his joining and I am actually feeling proud of him for that very moment just looking at this picture.  Joining the military is a pretty big deal and I feel fortunate that he (and my mom) made that choice.
Ah, a man in a uniform... even if it is my dad, he isn't such an unfortunate looking fellow in this picture.  Now I am not meaning to be too prideful here, but I really am proud of my dad and hope I can instill my children the values that were instilled in each of us kids because of my dad's service in the military. My dad's kind of a big deal you know--- well to me at least.

When I was 8, my mom, my sister and I were able to board the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier and cruise with it from Bremerton, WA to California.  Pretty awesome and certainly a once in a life opportunity.  I have a horrid memory, but I remember a few things vividly:
  • My dad was an officer at the time so we were able to dine in the officer's dining room.  The other levels of people either got the cafeteria style or fast food looking style.  I found that interesting, but paid little attention as I downed at least 10 gallons of chocolate milk only served in the officer's dining room.  Fondest memory of this trip.
  • The "dog machine".  That's what they called the ice cream machine aboard.
  • My sister crushing on all the young military guys whose responsibility it was to watch us
  • Going under the Bay bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Getting lost.  I found someone to help me but he made me wait until he finished his rounds before returning me.  It was like an hour and at 8 that is an eternity.  This ship was huge, you would have gotten lost too.
  • A lot of ladders and uncomfortable bunk beds
Thanks for serving in the military Dad!  Ya done good!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Uncle Bill - you keep rockin that Chemo and get it done! Kill the cancer, keep the humor! Love you and your family and like Erin, thanks for serving this country and being such an awesome part of the family. Miss you! Love Julie & Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I really need to check this blog daily! Look at all the fun to catch up on. I did not know he was in the Navy and that they met in 2nd grade. Those pics are priceless, thanks! 1 more day of chemo! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete