Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Countdown to the end of chemo!!! 3 days left

I'm calling the following pictures "The Glory Days" as these are all pictures of my dad (and my mom) during the high school years.  Something you ought to notice in these pictures is how my dad has a thick head of hair--not that you wouldn't notice it... it was the 70's.  His hair is exactly like my brother Evan's hair so lots (or little) for Evan to look forward to.  Well, probably not as my mom's dad still has his locks and Dad's hair was already in recession by the time he was Evan's age.
Football!!!  Here's dad doing what he loved best in high school---you know, when he wasn't making out in photo booths with my mom.  My dad has one grandson (mine) and another on the way (my sisters') and so I think more football could be in the future.  Sometimes on Turkey Day my dad will go out and play in the morning with people from church.  He goes all out and practically kills himself (along with the other middle aged men who attend) just to keep up with all the youngins.  It's fun to hear stories of my dad playing.  He has an old black and white jersey that all of us kids have worn around the house at some point and it always makes me smile when he wears it.  He wore it Friday morning when I went over for a pancake breakfast.
Alright, alright... here is a picture of moi sporting the jersey (and some pretty sweet roller skates).  This picture is kind of blurry but I can already tell the jersey was a lot less "holy" back then.

PROM!  My parents met each other in second grade.  It's a little fuzzy to us kids when they actually started dating or if they ever dated anyone else.  My dad said that I should definitely include this prom picture because he said, "Your mom was looking pretty hot"--egh, ugh... sorry, I threw up a little in my mouth right then.  Anyway, my dad is wearing a pink suit.  Even back then I can't imagine that was the best fashion direction to go.  I mean, my mom looks timeless, but my dad... *sigh*.  That whole ensemble is screaming for me to make fun of him.  The ruffles, that tie, and.... is that a ring on his left ring finger!?  Woah, I think it is.  If that is a promise ring I might have to be revived after dying from laughter.  Well, maybe it's just a school ring or something, but the left finger is kind of suspicious.  Anyway, it's probably good we can't see his feet because I can only imagine what shoes were worn to match this pink suit.
Ah, Senior picture.  For me, I look at this and see how very much my brothers look like my dad.  Each of them took different characteristics from my dad but I can see both of them in this picture.  Also, I know that the hair is real in this picture--all of it, sideburns and eyebrows included--but seriously, it looks a little like a toupee.  Well, if I can look past all that and that ruffle shirt, I can see that my dad is a pretty handsome guy.  In fact, I don't think he has changed much at all.  He still pretty much looks like this to us.

3 days left!  Hallelujah!!

5 comments:

  1. What a pretty shirt! Does he still have it? He should wear it to church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he should wear a pink suit to church! Your mom looks beauuuutiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please note, the hair is combed slightly forward, and the part was pretty low! Love Ya Bill, glad you ony have 3 more days before some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen and Bill--y'all are rockin' that prom photo. I love that you met in 2nd grade. Together you have created a legacy of love and service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will forgive the ruffle shirt (see there was always a little pirate in ya...argh!), since the suit was not bright blue!

    ReplyDelete