Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Proton Lab

 Last week the whole family accompanied my dad to the proton lab while he had his radiation done.  "Proton Lab"-- that really sounds high tech and kind cool, doesn't it?  I told Dad that and he agreed that the whole process is kind of cool (perhaps not the need for it or the actual treatment of it, but the technology behind it).  Anyway, the Proton Lab, pardon while I adjust my spectacles and pocket protector, is just a short distance from the main MD Anderson Center.  Usually it takes only about 10 minutes for Dad to get in, zapped and out but there was a bit of a backup that day so we made ourselves busy.  I decided the blog needed visuals, so I started snapping pictures...
 Here is a view of the lobby area... that sign actually reads, "Making Cancer History"... I guess from the angle I took the picture it looks more like "Making Cancer".  I thought it was funny, though I think my dad thought it was in poor taste.  Whatever.
 Here is a view looking down under the sign.  Dad was waiting in one of those white chairs a few minutes earlier but as I took this picture he was actually in receiving his radiation.  Excuse the picture quality as these were taken with my phone.  Also, pardon the reflection of my sneakers in the glass.  All of these imperfections bring added excitement to our little tour, I'm sure.
 This was our saving grace as they had a couple rooms off the lobby that are set up as little playrooms.  It kept the kids busy.  At one point I had a sick thought of, "Nice to know, just in case one of us...", but I stopped myself... my brain works strangely and it was just my way of mentally noting a place where the kids can play.  I do the same thing when I drive by a nice park or a pool or playground.  Habit.  It's my prayer that we won't visit this play area again, but it was a bonus for us as we had to spend some time there that day.
 Here is a model of the facility.  I'm not sure what all those rooms are for... my tour was limited by the security guard who kept giving me the evil eye.
 Here is a closeup of what I believe are the radiations machines.  I'm pretty sure anyway... I should have asked Dad to be sure that I'm not pointing out over sized dumpsters or something.  I tried to look it up on good ol' wikipedia, but it looked different on there.  Anyways, what I think you are looking at are the machines used to administer the proton therapy/radiation.  It really is lasers that align several ways and then zap the tumor.  Dad said he's pretty sure he can feel it happening, but I've also heard others say they feel nothing and also some say that it's painful. 

As a side note, I am strangely looking forward to seeing the inside of MD Anderson... it is quite the sprawling center from the outside and looks very modern and high tech (all this I assume from the outside brick structure:)).  As I will be giving myself the grand tour come May (operation time), be looking for that post.

No comments:

Post a Comment